Rhubarb and strawberries are a great match. With every bite you’re hit with the buttery crust, tart and sweet rhubarb strawberry mixture and the crunch from the streusel. I’m so happy to add these beautiful bars to my list of spring must-makes.
Ingredients for the Streusel:
- 1/2 c (115g) unsalted Butter, melted, plus room-temperature butter for pan
- 3/4 c (160g) packed Golden Brown Sugar
- 1/4 t (2g) Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- 1 1/4 c (160g) all-purpose Flour, plus more for pan
Ingredients for the Bars:
- 1/2 lb (225g) Rhubarb, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 lb (225g) fresh Strawberries, hulled and sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1 1/2 T (15g) Golden Brown Sugar
- 1 1/3 c (200g) all-purpose Flour
- 3/4 t (3g) Baking Powder
- 1/2 t (3g) Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- 3/4 c (170g) unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 c (140g) Confectioners’ Sugar
- 2 large Eggs, beaten
- 3/4 t (3ml) pure Vanilla Extract
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 9″ square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2″ overhang on two sides (use a swipe of butter on edges of pan to help keep parchment flush with pan. Butter and flour parchment and pan, tapping out excess flour.
Whisk together butter, brown sugar, and salt. Add flour and mix together using a fork or your fingers to create large crumbs. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, brown sugar, and 1/3 c (50g) of flour. Sift or whisk together remaining flour, baking powder, and salt, then set aside.
In a mixer, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly add eggs and vanilla extract. Stir in flour mix until just incorporated.
Spread batter in prepared pan, top with rhubarb/strawberry mix then top with streusel topping.
Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan, then remove from pan using the overhanging parchment tabs.
Slice bars to preferred size, dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve or top with whipped cream and serve.